Monday, July 28, 2008

It's taken 10 long years...

But I think I've finally found the machine I was meant to sew on.  This weekend I rescued my Great Grandmother's 1910 Singer 66-1 Red Eye in the No. 6 Singer cabinet and I feel like a new woman!  I have a great "modern" machine but we just don't really get along so I've always preferred hand piecing my quilts but my new baby has definitely introduced me to the joy of machine stitching.  I think it's that I need to feel more engaged in the process than I do with the modern sewing machine, so I prefer to hand stitch or now, work the treadle to find my pace and assemble those quilt blocks.  I'm waiting for the actual belt to arrive- After what was likely a 40+ year break in action, the belt on the machine was dry and snapped under the first bit of stress but my wonderful hubby rigged up some string to act as a belt until my new ones arrive so I can play and get a feel for the machine.  Time to go visit with my new baby.  I think she needs a name though... Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Lola. Sounds like an old caberette singer (come on it is a Singer...) Can't wait to see what you stitch up!