Monday, August 11, 2008

It's gone...

Gone I tell you. GONE.  I know where it is but it's not here and I don't like it.  What, you ask? My hope.  Ted Thompson traded my hope to the Jets for a lousy 4th round draft pick.  I'm sitting here watching the first Packer pre-season game of the year.  For the last 15 years I've watched every pre-season game with the same anticipation as if it were the NFC championship game and we were about to go to the Super Bowl.  For those not familiar with Packer fan's...  WE are a part of the team...  We are a running back. We are a wide receiver. We are a  tackle. We are a coach.  Our mood for the next 7 days is decided by the end result of each weeks game...  We just don't get the big paycheck... But I digress.  Last week Thursday that anticipation disappeared along with my quarterback.  I may get my hope back, hopefully even when watching the Packers instead of the Jets, but for now, I just don't know... For 15 and a half years I watched every Sunday knowing that Brett Favre would take the field and ANYTHING was possible.  Aaron Rodgers is a total unknown.  Can miracles happen when he takes the field?  Only time will tell.  For now, I sit here watching the game wondering like the rest of Packer nation if we've opened the door to the next great QB or if we've installed the next revolving door of abysmal quarterbacks and will relive the "great" old times of the 70s and 80s.  I guess only time will tell... and I hate waiting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will freely admit that Rogers, or anyone else that tries to fill Brett's shoes in the next 5 or so years stands no snow balls chance in you know where of a fair shot. But we aren't being given a fair shot this year. We were a championship team last year. And all this talk about is Brett ready to come back. He wasn't off for 5 seasons eating jelly donuts, he was off for as long as the rest of his team was. If I hear one more stat about the fact that only one other QB of his age has taken his team to a championship game I think I will be forced to toss my cookies. Has anyone looked at the stats of how many QBs who have never played one full game in the NFL have taken their team to even a wild card game? It is so weird rooting for your team while at the same time screaming at the QB who you could not possibly like. If not for any other reason, I disliked him after the SI comments he made to the fans that this was his team now. Perdoney moi, this is the fan's team. Always has been and always will be. No one expects you to be Favre, but did you have to be such a D bag?? I hope Ted Thompson's bags are packed because he is not welcome in title town.