Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Just say NO (The grand experiment)

A few weeks back my dr told me to try going gluten free to help with a major acid reflux issue I was dealing with.  Resistant as I was at the time, I tried it and I really did feel better- slept better, no heart burn, felt less sluggish during the day, so it was hard to deny he might be onto something.  

In trying to educate myself on just what gluten is and how to eat without it, I've wandered across quite a few websites and a couple of interesting blogs.  I was reading one of the blogs (The Gluten Free Girl) last night and had a light bulb moment- through links to several of her previous posts I got to a post about how a friend was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  Reading about his path to diagnoses made me realize maybe this is what has lead my husband to the dr on a regular basis with complaints of constant aches, tingling extremities, a feeling of constant sluggishness, fatigue, etc.  Over the years he's been through a gamut of test- arthritis, thyroid condition, alteration of his ADHD meds, and it always comes back to the dr saying you're getting older, you're not going to feel like you did when you were 20, etc which has frustrated him to no end.  It sicks when you know somethings wrong but no one can tell you what that might be.  So many things seem to fit that I figure it's worth exploring... Hence the grand experiment.  For the next couple of weeks we're going to try together to just say no to gluten.  

Rich is even more resistant to change than I am I think so the fact that he agreed to give it a shot feels huge.  I stumbled across this entirely by accident but he agrees it's worth a shot to feel good.  Not really out anything except perhaps a few extra food dollars but I can live with that.  So wish us luck. Lunch seems to be my biggest challenge- more on what to feed him than what to eat myself. Poor guy's stuck with a cold sandwich every day but I don't know if I'll manage to find a bread worthy of sandwich making.  No time like the present to experiment though I suppose!

2 comments:

Haley L said...

One of my best friends has Celiac Disease and can have no gluten. I'd be happy to connect you with her if you want--she is the queen of knowing what to buy, how to cook and where to eat out all gluten-free. :) Glad you feel better!

Ruby said...

I have a two friends who's kids are celiac intolerant and they have both bought a bread making machine. yeah, you now - the kitched fad from the 90th;-) But it works extremely well with celiac free flour and makes good bread. Worth a try?
Hugs,
Wolfie